The Sistine Chapel Trilogy
This extraordinary three-volume collectors' set presents the Sistine Chapel on a scale as experienced only by Michelangelo and the artists of the fifteenth-century frescos. This is the result of a five-year collaboration with the Vatican Museums and the Italian art publisher Scripta Maneant of Bologna, Italy.
In order to create this masterpiece, a team of photographers took more than 270,000 images over the course of 65 consecutive nights, whilst the Sistine Chapel was closed. The team used a 33 foot tall scaffold and rig to capture every inch of the chapel with advanced optics and digital photography, alongside three-dimensional reconstruction software to stitch together seamlessly each individual frame to reproduce the Chapel to an unprecedented level of colour and detail.
This magnum opus features state-of-the-art colour and printing fidelity, colour matched against the actual frescos, to produce a 1:1 life scale rendition of masterworks by Michelangelo, Botticelli, Perugino
The Vatican Museums have limited the worldwide publication of 1999 copies to only 600 available in English. This work will never be reprinted.
D E T A I L S
- Three volumes
- 822 total pages for three volumes
- Trim Size: 24 x 17 inches (Portrait)
- Item Weight: 88 Lbs (20 kgs) total weight for three volumes
- Gigapixel ultra-high resolution digital photography
- 6-color offset lithography, color-matched against the original frescoes
- Fedrighoni Tatami Mat 170 GSM paper
- Bodoniana 3-piece binding handbound in silk and white calf binding
- Individual bumper cartons inside a three-volume boxed ensemble, printed in silver with white matte lamination
- Each signature is hand-gathered and each volume is hand-bound in three-piece Bodoniana sewn binding in silk printed with metallic ink. The spines in white calf leather from matched hides are debossed in silver, gold and platinum foil stamping
- Typographic design by Jerry Kelly
- Debossed handmade Italian endpapers featuring Cosmati mosaic tile floor patterns in the Sistine Chapel
- Each volume is protected in a custom cotton sleeve and a pair of white cotton gloves is provided for archival handling
- Bespoke handmade gift box for each volume and for the boxed ensemble, printed in white and silver ink with matte film lamination with recloseable fasteners
- Custom-designed viewing stand and cabinet available upon special order