Probably commissioned by Sir Edward Hoby (1560-1617), Constable of Queenborough Castle, in the late 1590s;
Presumably acquired by Sir Humfrey Tufton, 1st Baronet (1584-1659);
Thence by descent to his son, Sir John Tufton, 2nd Baronet (c.1623-1685), by whose estate sold, 25th May 1686;
Possibly acquired at the Tufton Sale by Philip Sydney, 3rd Earl of Leicester (1618-1698), Penshurst Place (16 of the portrait set were hanging at Penshurst by 1728);
In the collection of Henry Weysford Charles Plantagenet, 9th Earl of Loudoun, by 1866;
Thence by descent to Charles Edward Rawdon-Hastings, 11th Earl of Loudoun, until at least 1909;
A. Seligman Trevor & Co., London, 1938;
Leggatt Brothers, 1939;
Presumably acquired from above by Arthur Ronald Nall Nall-Cain, 2nd Baron Brocket (1904 –1967), by whom sold;
Sotheby’s, London, 16 July 1952, lot 19;
Bought from above by ‘Delafont’ (£78);
Private Collection, UK.
 See an advertisement in The London Gazette, 20th-24th May 1686.
 Where they were seen by Vertue, see Walpole Society, Vol. XX, pp.51-52.